Thursday, March 15, 2012

Yankees' Delight in Dixieland

My little sister made the move below the Mason-Dixon line!!! Again...

Porsha and Me at River City Cafe in Surfside Beach, SC

This is not my sister's first time moving to the south, so I wanted to know why the south had such a hold on her. "I can't say it's the weather because it's WAY too hot here for my thick New York blood", Porsha quips, but then went on to divulge her delight in North Carolina in all seriousness:

"Honestly it's the convenience of living in the best of both worlds. You have mountains, which are a lot like being in the Catskills of NY. And, you have the ocean,which we have to drive through three states to get to. Plus, I just feel that life is so much easier and laid back in the south. For instance, I've only been here [vacationing] for two weeks, and I already have a job! In NY I would have been pounding the pavement for days, weeks, or even months, before I found a job. But, don't get me wrong, I LOVE and I'm very proud of my home and heritage. However, I still desire the simple pleasures a life in the south can provide; good food, sunshine even on a bad day, walking down the street without getting a crick in my neck. Those are just a few of the things that keep me coming back to NC."

I too LOVE living conveniently between two very different worlds, and Porsha and I had a great time exploring one of those worlds this past spring break week.




Ewww...Jellyfish on Surfside Beach, SC

No matter what pet-peeves I have about the differences between the north and the south, the LOVE I have developed for my new home far out weighs a few negatives. My yankee heart has found delight in dixieland.

I know this song has nothing to do with moving, but this is one of my and Porsha's favorite songs:

No comments:

Post a Comment