Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Yankee Land from a Southerner's Perspective

Recently, a few of my friends went to New York City for their first time. Before they set off on their most anticipated one day adventure, I asked them what they planned on doing while in NYC. Most of them said, "Oh, we're just going to wing it; Walk around, sight-see, go shopping, etc." WHAT!!!?

I really think they thought the NYC of Sex in the City was real :-/


Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I'm sorry, but you don't just wing New York City!!! And, many of them soon found that out. Axl Rose might as well had been singing as they stepped off their charter buses...

Source: Youtube

...because NYC soon showed them Mr. Big was not going to sweep them off to some posh New York restaurant, and they would not by stepping out on the town with a fresh pair of Manolo Blahnik. It was not time for fun and games.

After all the laughs I shared at my friends' expense, I wanted to know how a Southerner would feel after actually living in the New York tri-state area. What are some of the things that would baffle them? What would they hate, and what things would they love about living in the Big Apple?

Well, I got my chance to interview a friend, and hear a Southerner's perspective on living in the "New Babylon".

*For my new friend's privacy I'm not going to share her name.*

Where are you from in the South?
Tuscaloosa, AL

Where did you live in the North?
Queens, NY

What are some differences/similarities you have witnessed between living in the South and living in the North, e.g. religion, cultural mannerisms, interactions between strangers, etc.?
There is more diversity in Queens. It’s part of one of the most diverse cities in America so that is definitely a difference. Tuscaloosa is a college town so there is more diversity there than in a typical city in the “deep south” but it’s not comparable to Queens. In the South people are friendlier to strangers. In NY, in particular, people just move at a faster pace, so there isn’t as much casual friendliness towards strangers on the street. But, people in NY are helpful on the street if you need directions. In my opinion, life in general moves at a faster pace in NY. In NY it’s so easy to always be on the go.

What are things that you missed while living in the North?
I missed the slower pace of life. In the South it is a lot easier to relax. And you can easily find peace and quiet. It was always noisy in NY all day and all night. Even if you’re at home the sounds of the city life drift in through your windows.

What are things you miss about the North, now that you live back in the South?
In NY you can walk most places and it’s easy to just walk out your front door and just stay out walking all day because there is always something interesting to see or do.

Would you rather live in the South or the North?
I like both but I’d rather raise children in the south mostly because of the weather and the quality of life.

What are some things you wish people from the North would understand about the South, and vice versa?
I wish especially in the “deep south” that there wasn’t the stereotype that Southerners are unintelligent and uncultured. I don’t really have anything I wish people from the South would understand about the North. From my experience is that there are more people in the South who visit the North than the other way around. I’ve met people in NY who’ve never been outside of NYC.

Well, there you have it folks. New York is not one for the snooze button, but the South is the place to be if you are looking to rest, relax and raising children.

I love it here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment